From the blog
How to prepare for your first meeting with your builder
Once you have made the decision to build a new home or knock down and rebuild your home, it’s time to get started on the design of your new home! This is a very exciting phase but can also be incredibly tiring and time consuming.
Building with the right partner is very important to get the right design fit (read our article ‘how to choose the right builder for your home’ if you are not sure you have found the right builder).
So how do you get the most out of your first design meeting with your builder’s architect?
Preparation is important, so make sure you bring any information you have about your property, e.g. location, size, orientation.
Bring along also any sketches, pictures, magazines or any other visuals to convey ideas of what you like. You can also use our ‘Design Files’ to help you gather ideas and inspiration (link to the Design Files).
The following are typical questions that could come up in your first meeting:
- What do you like about your current home? What do you miss?
- Describe your family: who lives at home? Who visits frequently overnight? Are there any special needs to consider?
- How many rooms to you need? Are there any special spaces you would like to create?
- Describe your lifestyle: what activities do you participate in?
- Do you work from home?
- Do you have dinner guests over and like to entertain?
- What rooms are most important to you?
- What is your budget and timeframe?
- Do you have any preference of materials? Do you place an emphasis on a ‘green’ home?
You may also have some questions you would like to ask your builder and architect, such as:
- Who is your point of contact?
- What is the design process? How will the designs come to life, e.g. sketches, 3D drawings, etc.?
- When will the building begin?
- What are the next steps?
From farmhouse to country retreat, building a home on acreage or a large rural allotment where your nearest neighbour is a mile away is a dream come true for a lucky few. Read more…
Dulux has recently released their colour trends for 2017 – Antidote: A Colour Cure. Prescribing a visual cure through colour, with four globally inspired palettes that promote warmth and tactility that will stimulate your senses. Read more…